FEMA Earthquake Simulation Results for Salt Lake City
- A 7.0 earthquake at 2 p.m., in the middle of the workday, would cause 100,000 injuries > 10,000 fatalities.
- Most injury and death caused by heavy damage of large numbers of unreinforced masonry buildings.
- Damage estimates of approximately 30 billion dollars in losses.
- More than 50% of Utah schools were built before seismic building codes, and many may collapse increasing the death toll among children
Earthquake Safety Awareness Survey Results
- 41% of the respondents were moderately, vaguely, or not at all aware that there is a significant threat of an earthquake
- 50% of the respondents feel slightly or not at all prepared for an earthquake
- 56% of the respondents guessed incorrectly about what to do if you are inside during an earthquake.
- 64% of people would go to the internet to find out information on earthquake preparedness